Benes L. Trus, Ph.D.
- Acting Scientific Director;
- Acting Director, Division of Computational Bioscience;
- Chief Imaging Sciences Laboratory;
- Acting Chief, Computational Bioscience and Engineering Laboratory;
Dr. Trus obtained his Ph.D. in 1972 from the California Institute of Technology.
He joined NIDR in 1975 as a Staff Fellow, moved to CIT (then DCRT) in 1980 and joined NIAMS,
as a joint position with CIT, in 1990.
In 1993 he became Chief of the Image Processing Research Section in CIT/CBEL, which became a laboratory in 2002.
In 2007, he became Acting Scientific Directory of CIT and Acting Director of CIT's Division of Computational Bioscience.
Amongst his achievements, he has two NIH Director's Awards (1987, 1994)
and two NIH Group Merit Awards (presented by NIAMS), one in 1998 and the other in 2006.
Scientific Focus Areas
To be edited.....
- Biomedical Engineering/Biophysics/Physics
- Cancer Biology
- Cell Biology/Cell Signalling
- Chemistry/Chemical Biology
- Chromosome Biology/Epigenetics
- Clinical Research
- Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Biostatistics/Mathematics
- Developmental Biology
- Epidemiology/Population Sciences
- Health Disparities
- Microbiology/Infectious diseases (non-viral)
- Molecular Biology/Biochemistry
- Molecular Pharmacology/Toxicology
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Stem Cells/Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells
- Structural Biology
- Systems Biology
3D reconstruction of icosahedral viruses (e.g. herpes simplexvirus,
papillomavirus, LA virus, and poliovirus).
- Image processing of biological macromolecular complexes.
Computer software methods to achieve very high resolution (e.g.< 10A) and
to facilitate solutions to miscellaneous image processingproblems.
Computer hardware methods to utilize high performance (parallel)
computersto assist in the 3D reconstruction of icosahedral viruses.
Trus, BL, Heymann, JB, Nealon, K, Cheng, N, Newcomb, WW, Brown, JC,Kedes, DH,
Steven, AC, "Capsid Structure of Kaposi's Sarcoma-Associated Herpes virus, a
Gammaherpesvirus, Compared to Those of an Alphaherpesvirus,Herpes Simplex Virus
Type 1, and a Betaherpesvirus, Cytomegalovirus", J.Virology (2001)
N.Cheng, B.L. Trus. D.M. Belnap, W.W.Newcomb, J.C. Brown & A.C. Steven(2002)
"The hand of herpes simplex virus capsid and procapsid." J. Virol. 76: 7855-59.
Modis,Y, Trus, BL, and Harrison, SC, "Atomic Model of the Papillomavirus
Capsid",EMBL J. (2002) 21: 4754-4762.
Cerritelli, ME, Trus, B,Smith, CS, Cheng, N, Conway, JF, and Steven, AC, "A
Second Symmetry Mismatch atthe Portal Vertex of Bacteriophage T7: 8-fold
Symmetry in the Procapsid Core",J. Mol. Biol. (2003) 327:1-6.
Heymann, JB, Cheng, N, Newcomb, WW, Trus, BL,Brown, JC, Steven, AC, "Dynamics
of Herpes Simplex Virus Capsid Maturation Visualizedby Time-Lapsed Cryo-EM",
Nat. Struct. Biol. (2003) 10: 334-341.
Center for Information Technology, Building 12A, Room 2033, MSC 5624
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892-5624 USA